Friday, October 16, 2009

New Orleans-Bound

No. Not me. Budgetary restrictions and all that. But if you guys had one road trip to take this year, I hope it's New Orleans. It's one of my favorite towns with, as they say, beaucoup restaurants and eateries.

I'll give you a few of my favorite stops down there if those returning or those who paid past visits there give me their favorites. Just do me a favor. Bring me back some Cajun stuff 'cuz "I'm not goin' to no Galletoire's tonight." (double-click prize for the reference! Hint: TW).

Commander's Palace: One of the great restaurants in all of America. Classy joint, and fantastic, non-traditional (for my tastes, anyway) food. I had grilled antelope there once, and it was unbelievable. And no, it didn't taste like chicken. You have to order the signature bread pudding before the meal, so save room. It's well worth it.

K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen: Super-chef Paul Prudhomme's place. Had trout with a jalepeno sauce. M-m-m, m-m-m. Dat dare trout good, ah gar-own-tee! Don't look for it on Bourbon Street. It's on Chartres.

Mother's: Can't beat the breakfast there. Looks like a dump, but order the crawfish etouffee omlet and you'll forget all about the surroundings.

Cafe du Mond: Not the one in the mall. The one across from St. Louis Cathedral. Hickory coffee and powdered beignets. Usually a saxman playing for tips outside. Great way to spend a Sunday morning before a game.

Also, don't forget to go to a deli and pick up a muffalata.

Okay, now give me yours.

EP

8 comments:

  1. I'd recommend Port Of Call, which had one of the best filet mignons I've ever eaten, and some ridiculous party drinks.

    www.portofcallneworleans.com

    Go Big Blue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just know don't leave bourbon street or u will end up in a place far worse than Newark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thegeneralfamilyOctober 16, 2009 2:25 PM

    Ernie,

    Been reading a lot about a potential mismatch with Boley out and having Blackburn/Pierce to match up with Reggie Bush out of the backfield, a la the way Boley's signing seemed in large part to deal with the similarly-oriented Westbrook. What I don't understand is why a LB need be the one to cover the "RB" in this case; Bush has averaged 9 carries per game so far, but with Mike Bell back, assuming Pierre Thomas does play Bush would figure to only have a few carries. Simply, why can't a DB line up across from him in man situations where he's not the only guy in the backfield?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Generalfamily:

    Actually, that's what might happen. I'm thinking either C.C. Brown or Michael Johnson are going to be at least helping out on Bush. Then again, we might see the faster LB Bryan Kehl subbing in for Blackburn on passing situations to help with those chores.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dont forget Acme oyster bar and Deanies for seafood. The Sazerac bar in the Fairmont hotel just oustside the French quarter makes the best Sazerac cocktail ( an American original) in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to see you back Ernie. I've followed you thru BBI for years. You're bookmarked now.
    Just outside NO in Lakeview is a restaurant called Tony Angello's . Italian -Creole if you can believe it...Great atmosphere, great food, not too pricey. More a local restaurant that many local celebrities go to rather than the gourmet in the city. All you mentioned are great, but experience Cafe Dumond on any morning

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wicky Wacky Woo WooOctober 16, 2009 10:37 PM

    All I know about Bourbon Street is going to Pat O'Brien's and getting wasted on Hurricanes.

    Ernie, you'd probably be a fun drunk. Or a mean one. Hard to say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Drago's for the best char-broiled oysters. Do not miss it!!!!

    ReplyDelete