Thursday, March 4, 2010

A Little Something To Think About

This from Kenny Phillips' latest blog post.

"I have to say I think my knee is way ahead of schedule," Phillips wrote today. "Everything is looking good, from what the doctors say, and I’ll be running by the end of the month. Then I’ll start picking up my rehab a little bit more.

"Basically, I feel like I could play tomorrow if I had to. The trainers and doctors have done a real good job of getting me prepared. I miss the game, I can’t wait to get back into it."

Now, that might just be wishful thinking on the part of the player. Without input from a trainer or a doctor, I'd take Phillips' progress from microfracture surgery in exactly that context. And even Jerry Reese recently said he wouldn't put all his safety eggs in Phillips' basket right now. So don't think the Giants will be precluded from at least trying to pick up a safety through free agency or the draft just because of Phillips' recent proclamation.

Still, it's good to hear he's in fine spirits. When healthy, he's a potential Pro Bowl kid. But whether he even gets close to that level this year depends on how well he heals, and that's still an ongoing process.

EP

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Ernie

    I'm glad he's doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's hope and pray. This kid is a talent who, if healthy, was heading straight for the Pro Bowl for years to come.

    Probably the biggest reason our D imploded last year was his abscense and no back-up plan.

    Chris B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I'll be running by the end of the month".

    He "feels great", he's "ahead of schedule", he feels he could "basically play tomorrow"...

    but he hasn't run yet.

    As the previous poster says, let's hope and pray.

    ReplyDelete