Thursday, March 18, 2010

Had To Pull Out

Here's something from NFL Draft Scout detailing the problems Tennessee safety Eric Berry had in his Pro Day yesterday. I put it up because his name has been mentioned prominently on this blog as a desired draft pick, even though some analysts indicate he could go as high as No. 2. He's rated the top defensive back in the draft, but the sprained big toe he suffered yesterday might cause some teams to take a closer look at him.

Here's the report:

Eric Berry's day ended early. The two-time All-America strong safety bowed out during his first drill after he stepped into a soft spot on the Vols' indoor practice field and tweaked his left big toe. Berry, who opted to turn pro after being told by (Lane) Kiffin that he was ready, said he would have continued if it had been a game situation. "We talked about it and the trainers said I should shut it down," he said. "A lot of scouts came out here to see me and I wanted to show them that the combine was no fluke." Berry appears to have nothing to prove at this point. Mock drafts across the board all have him going in the top 10, with a couple saying he could get popped as high as the second overall pick by Detroit. But being a fierce competitor, Berry is already looking forward to a private workout he'll hold in the remaining weeks before the draft. "As much as they like to analyze things," he said of NFL executives and scouts, "I have to show them again at some point. I'll show them and get back on the field."

Berry ran a 4.40 40 and bench-pressed 19 reps at 225 pounds at the Combine.

EP

8 comments:

  1. Ernie, Did you fill out an NCAA bracket? Who do you like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why would anyone let him do anything at his Pro day, the people who coach and mentor these kids are idiots. He was (is) a lock to go in the top 10 if not higher and he was not going to move up. his combine numbers were great, just a poor decision that hopefully does not have long repercussions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ern, Can u please get this comments section fixed? We are really picking up steam with some very intelligent debates and it is driving me crazy. I am here all day so it isn't that big a deal but how about for those that rarely come here. They probably get frustrated and just go back to the other crappy blogs (Not Ed, he is the Man 1b.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doubt he will fall because of this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wayneo:

    Can you or others specifically tell me about what's happening with the comments? I'm not sure I can do much about it since there's absolutely no human to talk to at these blog software places. I do have the comments commands set so anyone can comment. In other words, I haven't limited it to Google members or members of this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. EP,

    The web page just hangs after you submit a response.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It takes two tries to get the comment up and it often is not there or even the comment box just hangs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I'll see what I can do about it. I'm guessing the problem is with the software, though. But I'll see if there's a fix.

    ReplyDelete